Friday, July 21, 2006

An Introduction

A brief introduction of who I am and what I do. My name's Mike and I'm a Cisco-certified network engineer. I'm 22 years old and have worked on networks for the past 5 years. I current works in the private sector as a Network Engineer for a local food retailer. We are based in 6 states in the Northeast. My responsibilities include maintaining the operation of our MPLS network, along with investigate new technologies to enhance services on our network. My main focus now is business continuity connectivity along with investigating the newest network security technologies. My primary focus has been the installation and operation of the Cisco CS-MARS security event manager. This robust product offers a lot, but I find that Cisco falls short on providing an in-depth view of the power of the device and how it benefits any company that operates a secure network. My hope is that this blog will provide insight into the security technologies offered by Cisco, with a focus on the CS-MARS device. Along the way I'll share my experiences in networking and hopefully hear input for fellow engineers out there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree, there really is not much documentation. Do you have any other suggested readings?

astroman said...

The newest book from CiscoPress is decent...it revealed plenty of things that I was not aware of. Unfortunately, I've found that the best MARS education is found by working with it as much as possible.

This blog has been much needed Mike...keep up the good work, and if I can help out at all, please let me know.

Anonymous said...

I have an MPLS Network and we just got MARS. After some troubleshooting, we dug up a report that MARS will not auto-discover (via SNMP) on an MPLS Network. Have you found a workaround besides a seed file?